Monday, September 08, 2014

"It doesn't get dirtier than this"

by Senior Airman Matthew Lotz
31st Fighter Wing Public Affairs


9/8/2014 - AVIANO AIR BASE, Italy -- "I can't think of a job being dirtier than ours," he says jokingly just seconds before an unwelcoming aroma fills the air as he lifts the cover off a manhole. "I mean come on; we are constantly around sewage lines, fuel, and used toilets and urinals."

The men and women responsible for managing these unfriendly smells are the Airmen with the 31st Civil Engineer Squadron water and fuel systems maintenance team. They are in charge of making sure Aviano has clean water, unclogged sewers and clean fuel for the aircraft.

According to Senior Airman Robert Young, 31st CES water and fuel systems technician, they work on water running to every building, fire systems, the base pool, and of course, toilets and urinals.

When asked what their biggest job on base is, he laughs and replies, "cleaning urinals."

"Although it seems like we are doing that every day, we are much more than that," explained Senior Airman Leontre Harris, 31st CES water and fuel systems technician. "Over in billeting, if there is a minor leak, it could potentially end up ruining that entire room's ceiling, light fixtures and floors. So not repairing that minor problem can be detrimental to a building. And that's where we come in."

These Airmen get more than just their hands dirty for these jobs, but also, most of their uniform.

"No day is the same, which makes it interesting," says Harris. "We don't just sit in an office, but instead get to go out and meet new people. I can't see myself doing anything else in the Air Force."

While these water and fuel system technicians are able to handle a variety of jobs around base far beyond plunging toilets, their spouses have a different view.

"My wife understands what I do and would definitely say I'm just a plumber," Young says. "She's been with me since the beginning [of my career]so I know my wife gets more angry with me when I leave pens in my uniform when she does laundry, than the actual smell I bring home."

According to Harris, they are very aware of the smell they bring home. First thing he does, since he has a newborn, is take off his boots. On the days he works with fuel, he takes off everything to ensure the baby doesn't inhale anything from his clothes.

"I know my husband's job is dirty, but it's an important asset to this base and its mission," said Senior Airman Deja Harris, 31st Comptroller Squadron. "Without him we would have a lot of backed up sewage lines, no clean running water and without them inspecting the fuel, the jets wouldn't do their mission."

At the end of the day, these Airmen arrive home with boots and uniform in hand, often wear the unpleasant smell that followed them from work.

"My husband is the type of person that likes to be outside and get his hands dirty," explained Harris. "I would never ask my husband to change jobs.

"As long as he doesn't get my house dirty, I really don't mind," she joked.

No comments: