Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Team Seymour recognizes 2014 Spouse of the Year

by Airman 1st Class Aaron J. Jenne
4th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


3/26/2014 - SEYMOUR JOHNSON AIR FORCE BASE, N.C. -- Each year, a military spouse is awarded the Seymour Johnson Air Force Base Spouse of the Year, in appreciation of their contribution to the base and the local community.

This year's recipient, Billiejean Rogers, was recognized for her work with spouses and families of deployed Airmen.

"Billiejean is so deserving of this award," said Thayer Stamper, Rogers' chaplain. "She is all heart, and she's dedicated to helping these spouses and easing their struggles through their times of separation."

In 2009, Rogers developed and organized a program called "Homefront Ministries," designed to help people struggling with being separated from their deployed spouse. She wanted to ensure that they were prepared for the challenges associated with deployments and temporary duty assignments.

"I'm really passionate about helping others in this situation," Rogers said. "I've been there before and know it can be hard to adjust to the deployment cycles of our current military."

Among some of the programs offered by the organization is a free nanny service and maintenance workers who will provide minor work for the deployed Airman's family. However, according to Rogers, the real significance to the program is educating the spouses on the Air Force services available to them from the Airman and Family Readiness Center and other Department of Defense organizations.

"It was hard for me -- moving to a new area and having my husband deploy," said Hillary Charles, a deployed spouse. "I was glad to find a person who's been through the same challenges and was dedicated to helping me with anything I needed, to ensure this deployment was a success."

Nearly 24 years ago and just two weeks into her marriage, Roger's husband was tasked to deploy overseas in support of contingency operations. She attributes her own personal experience, as her motivation to help new spouses in the military who are going through the same obstacles.

"I was once new to the military life and wasn't very knowledgeable about what it entailed, like some of the people I help," Rogers said. "Over the course of my husband's deployment, I relied heavily on family and friends to act as a support system and to help guide me through it. I decided then, that eventually I would like to do the same for others."

Currently there are six spouses of deployed Airmen working with Rogers and her organization.

"Helping people is my passion," Rogers said. "Hopefully what I do makes a difference and lets these individuals know that even though your spouse is deployed, you are not alone."

No comments: