Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Special duties provide NCOs with new experiences, advance careers

by Staff Sgt. Katherine Holt
2nd Bomb Wing Public Affairs


12/9/2013 - BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La.  -- Two Barksdale Airmen recently found out they were selected out of 1,000 NCOs across the Air Force for special duties.

When Tech. Sgt. Shanera Ruth found out she was selected to become a Basic Military Training Instructor, she was excited and nervous at the same time.

"I was excited because this is something I've always wanted to do," said Ruth, who is the 2nd Force Support Squadron individual personnel readiness NCO in-charge. "I felt nervous because this is a new adventure in my career."

For Master Sgt. Brandi Burns, 2nd Security Forces Squadron Armory NCO in-charge, the itch to become a first sergeant came when she was put into the assistant position for two weeks.

"After I found out I made master sergeant, my first reaction was that I wanted to apply to be a first sergeant," she said. "After an amazing 18 years in the military it was my time to give back."

For both NCOs, being hand-selected by their leadership for their special duties makes these assignments even more meaningful.

"I was extremely grateful my superiors had that much confidence in me to submit me for the first round of this new process," said Burns.

Ruth agreed.

"I am grateful to my commander for submitting me for this," said Ruth. "It lets me know that she sees something special in me."

Both of these NCOs decided early in their careers to be the best Airmen they could be, and they both agree their efforts led them to being accepted into their respected special duties.

Burns' leadership couldn't agree more.

"Master Sergeant Burns has a dynamic, innovative, and inspiring leadership style that motivates everyone around her to improve themselves and their surroundings," said Chief Master Sgt. John Oblinger, 2nd SFS chief enlisted manager. "She has an infectious positive attitude, the ability to inspire coupled with great communication skills, which makes her the right Airman for this demanding position."

Lt. Col. Diane Benavidez, 2nd Force Support Squadron commander, says she feels Ruth is definitely right for the job.

"Tech. Sgt. Ruth possesses the intellect and ability to mentor and teach our newest Airman," she said. "She is one of the most dedicated NCOs in our unit. Her attention to detail will be a great fit for BMT."

Ruth and Burns look at these new opportunities as a positive impact that will maximize their personal and career growth.

"I think that being a first sergeant will broaden my knowledge base and assist me in becoming a well-rounded Senior NCO," said Burns.

Ruth looks forward to picking up the habits of an MTI while she works toward her goal of becoming a master sergeant and completing her Master's degree program.

"With the amount of discipline MTI's have to have, I know it will carry over to my study habits and I will be able to complete my Master's program," she said.

Leadership, at all levels, say these selections should be coveted and Airmen should strive to be the best of the best.

"We are the world's greatest Air Force due to our Airmen, and we need our best to develop our future Airmen," said Chief Master Sgt. Curtis Storms, 2nd Bomb Wing Command Chief. "I am confident that, with more Airmen like Master Sgt. Burns and Tech. Sgt. Ruth, we will not disappoint."

Burns and Ruth advise Airmen and young NCOs to set goals, be a mentor and not to stay in the same place for long.

"You can shape your career for this type of selection by being the best mentor to others now," said Ruth. "Be the best of the best now, it's never too late."

"Apply for different positions within your unit and don't stagnate in one place too long," said Burns. "Become a master in your job and always aspire to do more."

Both NCOs are scheduled to depart for their training Spring 2014 and are excited for their new adventure.

The next round of nominations for special duties is scheduled for March 2014.

No comments: