Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Farewell Q&A with AFGSC command chief

by Staff Sgt. Brigitte N. Brantley
509th Bomb Wing Public Affairs


11/25/2013 - WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo. -- The command chief of Air Force Global Strike Command visited Whiteman Nov. 14 to 16 to share his 28 years of experience and expertise with fellow Airmen one final time as a command chief.

Chief Master Sgt. Brian Hornback, an aircraft maintainer by trade who joined the Air Force in 1985 and plans to retire in early 2014, spent the majority of his career supporting bomb units around the world.

He sat down recently for some final words to the base where he served as command chief from 2007-2009 after being hired by the then-commander of the 509th Bomb Wing, Brig. Gen. Greg Biscone.

Why did you start your farewell tour here at Whiteman?
It was important for me to start the journey here because this is where I began my command chief journey. General Biscone hired me on in 2007 to be the "Mighty 509th" command chief and this place has always been special to me, like home to me. My youngest daughter was born here, so I had to come home to start the trip.

What will you remember most about Whiteman and the Airmen here?
Whiteman has so many memories. What resonates and what has always really stuck with me about Whiteman is everybody here is so professional. Even our worst Airmen are better than some of the best Airmen at other locations, and I've been around the world. There's something special about what the Mighty 509th is. Maybe it's the long history we have, and maybe every Airman recognizes their part in it.

Most of your career was spent supporting bomb units. As your career comes to an end, what effect do you hope you've left on the Air Force Global Strike community?
There are a couple things I learned along the way and a couple words that go with it that I will never define. One is whether I made a difference and two is whether or not whatever I did was successful. The Airmen of AFGSC own that definition. I can only hope I made a difference. I can only hope the efforts we went forward as a team to work on turn out successfully. That's all I can ask. I'll leave that up to you to define whether or not I made a difference or had some successes.

What are your future plans?
We walked into a great opportunity in the Bossier/Shreveport (La.) area. I got a great job, I'm going to run operations for a local company. It's kind of cool, they're in six states and one of them happens to be Missouri, so I'll have opportunities to come back here in a different capacity. We're going to grow old and shoot archery as a family in Louisiana.

Will you stay involved with the Air Force? If so, how?
Because I'm staying in the area, for my first year, I think I am going to pull back and allow my replacement to do what they do. Eventually, I will be back involved in any way, shape or form I can. When I hit my second retirement, my plan is to volunteer at whatever installation I'm close to, whether it's at the pharmacy or the Airman and Family Readiness Center, someway to be in touch with Airmen.

What are your final words of advice to Airmen everywhere?
Enjoy your career. Make it one that when you look back on it, you go, "Wow." Nothing stops you, only you. You said yes once, and that's when you enlisted. Don't ever stop saying yes because on the other side of yes comes something that you have no clue what it's going to be about, but I can guarantee you that it will be exciting. Just enjoy it.

No comments: