Saturday, September 14, 2013

Retired CMSAF Robert Gaylor visits JBPH-Hickam, shares experiences

by Master Sgt. Matthew McGovern
Pacific Air Forces Public Affairs


9/13/2013 - JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii -- Retired Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force Robert Gaylor, the fifth to hold that title, discussed Air Force issues with Airmen during five speaking engagements Sept. 11 through 14, here.

Gaylor shared his experiences and insight with Airmen at a junior enlisted call, First Term Airmen Center, Airmen Leadership School, Top III senior non-commission officer group, and Air Force Ball participants.

"I started speaking to the enlisted force in 1970 and in those nine years of active duty I'm sure I talked to thousands of Airmen," said Gaylor. "Since I retired in 1979 I've continued to travel and have the benefit of hearing from the Airmen, not just talking to them. It's a mutual exchange."

This is Gaylor's 24th base visit this year out of an average of 30 base visits annually. After meeting with PACAF SNCOs, he spoke about leadership attributes to the Top III.

"Someone once asked President Abe Lincoln what the number one leadership trait is," he said. "There are many choices but it might surprise you what Abe said; he said humility. He wasn't talking about meekness, impassivity, and giving in, he was talking about the humility that comes with the confidence that you have your act together and are comfortable performing as a leader - and that you're not threatened by the skills of others."

"President Lincoln also said that with the appropriate amount of humility, you don't feel the need to go around blustering and condescendingly dealing with people," he added.

Gaylor reminded the SNCOs in the room to measure themselves against the president's comments, just as he does.

Gaylor said he tried to keep his humility throughout his career. And between speaking engagements, when asked if he could go back to active duty to work in any career field at any age, he said he would be an ALS instructor all over again.

"I like working with the Senior Airmen; the younger the audience the more fired up I get because I think I'm in a better position to influence their thinking," he said. "Yesterday I spoke to the ALS Airmen, they were in their first day. I could have stayed there all afternoon; I didn't want to leave."

Some of Gaylor's audience members are repeat customers and find his messages to be a rewarding inspiration.

"This is the third time I heard him speak but every time I walk out thinking about where I can grow as a SNCO to help my Airmen," said Master Sgt. Jason Glockner, PACAF Executive Services superintendent.

"You can tell he still loves the Air Force as much as he did the day he came in and all he wants to do is continue to inspire the next generation and the next generation," Glockner said.

Born in 1930 in Bellevue, Iowa, and raised in the town of Mulberry, Ind., Gaylor enlisted in the Air Force in 1948, a year after its birth. More than 65 years later, he continues to travel to motivate Airmen and be an active part of the Air Force community.

No comments: