Tuesday, June 08, 2010

CSG-10 Salutes Kings Bay Navy College Graduates

From Commander, Submarine Group 10 Public Affairs

June 8, 2010 - KINGS BAY, Ga. (NNS) -- The commander, of Submarine Group 10 addressed the Navy College graduating class of 2010 at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga., June 4.

The commencement ceremony reflected the efforts of 87 graduates with 17 Sailors and one Marine who received degrees ranging from associates to the first doctorate earned at the Kings Bay campus.

In his commencement speech, Rear Adm. Barry Bruner applauded the efforts of the graduates and the support from their friends and families in achieving their academic goals.

"Few things in life come easily, but doors are opening for you," Bruner said.

After 23-years in the Navy, Senior Chief Missile Technician Nicholas Davies of Trident Training Facility completed a bachelor's degree in only 16-months.

"I decided to pursue my degree due to upcoming transition to the civilian community," Davies said. "The Navy has been extremely supportive in all my efforts and I wanted to take advantage of all the benefits available while still on active duty. The evening hours of the classes made it easy to de-conflict work and school schedules." Davies plans to continue his education with a graduate degree in education.

The Navy College Program (NCP) provides opportunities to Sailors to earn college degrees by providing academic credit for Navy training, work experience, and off-duty education. The Navy College mission is to provide continual academic support to Sailors while they pursue a technical or college degree, regardless of their location or duty station.

Chief Fire Control Technician Dexter Locklear of Trident Refit Facility encourages junior Sailors to take advantage of the educational opportunities available through Navy College and the Navy. "I would tell junior Sailors - take one class per patrol while underway and your degree will be so much easier to attain in the future. I completed 19 patrols and would have completed my bachelor's degree years ago, if I completed 1 course per patrol."

"I would recommend college to all personnel in the military but to be cautious in taking to many classes too early to avoid conflicts with military duties," Davies said.

NPC signals the Navy's commitment to education by improving enlistment appeal, demonstrating Navy service and achieving a college degree are compatible to helping Sailors apply themselves to new situations and challenges.

Lt. Antone Eliasen of Trident Training Facility described earning his master's in engineering management as "more than a way for me to better myself, it also allows me to provide greater value to the Navy. It represents a culmination of not only the efforts that I put into my education, but the efforts that my wife and my fellow students and Sailors put forth to help me down this path."

NPC is available for undergraduate, graduate and doctorate degrees.

"The Navy College looks forward to increased growth in customer needs and continues to be every service members first stop in their pursuit of off-duty college education or vocational training," said Gregg White, Kings Bay Navy College Office director.

No comments: